Thursday, November 9, 2006

I just tried to install SuSe 10.1 on my system. As expected, this distro too gives the same damn problem like every other distro I have tried: kernel panic if graphics card is enabled on asrock i865gv. Earlier I used to use Ubuntu and I knew a workaround for this.. you boot with your onboard card, chmod /etc/init.d/hotplug to -x, edit the xorg.conf file and your done! (though i must mention that this disables not only your onboard graphics card, but your onboard sound card too! this means whenever I want to use Ubuntu, I have 2 options: either use my external graphics card without sound or the onboard card with sound!)

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do this in SuSe simply because /etc/init.d/hotplug doesn't exist! So far, I haven't found a single solution on the internet, even after posting the question in the forums.

This is so irritating... but guess what, I actually removed Vista to make space for linux in my system. Why? Because I don't need Vista now. Its just another version of windows which looks really cool and smooth but won't allow me to play games. I might as well use XP till I get a better system. Linux is different. I want to experiment and do stuff in linux cuz its a completely different operating system.. I want to check out all those IDEs like KDevelop and Eclipse.

I would have been happy with Ubuntu, but the cd is scratched so I can't install from it. Its the only distro I have been able to install and use in my system properly. I guess I have to wait for the new cds to be shipped to me or find a way to make SuSe work!

No comments: